Introduction to European Handicap Betting: What is It and How Does It Work?
European Handicap Betting, also known as Three-Way Handicap or Single Handicap, is a popular betting market in sports betting. This type of handicap betting is commonly used in football (soccer) matches where one team is deemed to be the clear favourite over their opponent.
In a European Handicap bet, the bookmaker gives a handicap or point advantage to the team that is considered the underdog. This handicap is expressed as a number of goals that the underdog team must either win by, or not lose by, in order for the bet to be successful.
For example, if Manchester United is playing against West Ham and Manchester United is considered the stronger team, a European Handicap bet may be offered with Manchester United given a -1 goal handicap and West Ham given a +1 goal handicap. This means that for a bet on Manchester United to be successful, they must win by more than 1 goal. Conversely, for a bet on West Ham to be successful, they must win, draw, or lose by 1 goal only.
The European Handicap system ensures that odds are more even, even if there is a perceived mismatch in strength between the two teams. This makes betting on the underdog more attractive to punters, as they are given a greater chance of winning the bet.
How Does European Handicap Work?
European Handicap betting is a type of sports betting that offers a handicap to one of the teams or players in a match. The handicap is given in the form of a goal advantage or disadvantage, which can be a whole or a half number. The purpose of the handicap is to level the playing field, making the match more exciting for bettors.
For instance, let’s say Manchester United is playing against Arsenal, and Manchester United is the favourite to win. A European Handicap bet could give Arsenal a handicap of +1 goal, which means that Arsenal starts the game with a 1-goal advantage. This means that Manchester United would have to win by at least 2 goals for a bet on Manchester United to win.
On the other hand, if you bet on Arsenal with a +1 handicap, you would win the bet if Arsenal wins the match, if the match ends in a draw, or if Arsenal loses the match by one goal. If the match ends in a Manchester United win by exactly one goal, your bet would be refunded.
Here are a few common ways in which bookmakers show European Handicap:
- Plus/Minus Handicap: This is the most common way to show European Handicap. The handicap is displayed as a plus or minus number next to one of the teams, and the bettor must decide if that team will win by more (in the case of a minus handicap) or less (in the case of a plus handicap) than the handicap amount. For example, if Team A is listed as -1.5 in a match against Team B, then Team A must win by at least two goals for the bettor to win the bet. If Team B wins, or if Team A wins by only one goal, then the bettor loses the bet.
- Score-Based Handicap: Some bookmakers may also display the handicap in terms of specific scores:
- European Handicap +2 can be referred to as starting the game with a scoreline of 2-0 in favor of the team with the handicap. (2:0)
- European Handicap -2 can be referred to as starting the game with a scoreline of 0-2 in favor of the opposing team.(0:2)
How Does European Handicap Differ From Asian Handicap?
European Handicap and Asian Handicap are two of the most popular types of handicaps used in football betting. While they may seem similar, there are some key differences between them.
One of the main differences is that European Handicap includes the possibility of a draw, whereas Asian Handicap eliminates the draw as an option. In European Handicap, if the match ends in a draw, the bettor can still win or lose the bet depending on the handicap given to the team.
Another difference is that European Handicap is generally used for lower-scoring matches, where there is a lower likelihood of a team winning by a large margin. Asian Handicap, on the other hand, is more commonly used in high-scoring matches, where there is a greater chance of a team winning by a significant margin.
Our mighty Handicaps calculator
European Handicap vs. Asian Handicap: Which Betting Strategy is Better?
European Handicap betting is a type of handicap where the handicap is applied to the underdog, making it more difficult for the favourite to win. This means that a handicap of -1 for the favourite would require them to win by at least two goals to cover the bet, while a handicap of +1 for the underdog would mean that they can lose by one goal and still win the bet. This is different from Asian Handicap, where the handicap is applied to both teams and draws are eliminated.
One of the main advantages of European Handicap is that it offers a wider range of options, as it allows for half-goal handicaps (such as -0.5 or +0.5) and even quarter-goal handicaps (such as -0.25 or +0.25). This can provide greater flexibility in terms of betting and can help you get better odds if you have a specific outcome in mind.
On the other hand, one of the main advantages of Asian Handicap is that it reduces the risk of losing your bet to a draw. Since a draw is eliminated, you have a higher chance of winning your bet, especially if you bet on the favourite. Additionally, Asian Handicap is more straightforward than European Handicap, as it only offers whole-number handicaps (such as -1 or +1) and doesn't involve half-goals or quarter-goals.
So, which one is better? It really depends on your personal preference and betting style. If you prefer a wider range of options and greater flexibility in your betting, then European Handicap may be the better choice for you. However, if you want to reduce the risk of losing your bet to a draw and prefer a more straightforward betting option, then Asian Handicap may be the better choice.
The Benefits of Using European Handicap Betting Strategy
When it comes to sports betting, using the right strategy can make all the difference in your success. One strategy that is gaining popularity among bettors is European Handicap betting. This type of betting offers many benefits that can help you maximize your profits and minimize your losses. In this section, we’ll explore some of the benefits of using the European Handicap betting strategy.
- More Options for Betting
One of the main benefits of using the European Handicap betting strategy is that it offers more options for betting. Unlike traditional betting where you simply bet on a team to win, lose, or draw, European Handicap betting allows you to place bets on a team with a handicap. This means that you can bet on a team to win by a certain number of goals, or to not lose by a certain number of goals.
- Increased Chances of Winning
Another benefit of using the European Handicap betting strategy is that it can increase your chances of winning. By using a handicap, you can level the playing field between two teams and increase the likelihood of a winning bet. For example, if you bet on a team with a +1 handicap, they can still win the bet even if they lose by one goal.
- More Precise Betting
European Handicap betting also allows for more precise betting. With traditional betting, you are limited to three options – win, lose, or draw. However, with European Handicap betting, you can bet on a specific outcome, such as a team to win by two goals or to not lose by three goals. This can help you to make more informed bets and increase your chances of winning.
- Better Odds
Another advantage of using the European Handicap betting strategy is that it often offers better odds. Since the handicap can help to level the playing field between two teams, the odds may be more favorable for the team you’re betting on. This means that you can potentially win more money than with traditional betting.
- More Exciting Betting
Lastly, European Handicap betting can make sports betting more exciting. By having more options for betting and more precise betting, you can have a more immersive and engaging experience. Plus, the increased chances of winning and potential for better odds can make the betting experience even more thrilling.
Real-Life Examples of European Handicap in Action
To better understand how European handicap works in real-life situations, let's take a look at some examples:
Example 1: Liverpool vs. Fulham
In this match, Liverpool is the clear favorite to win, and the bookmakers have given them a -1 handicap. This means that they need to win by at least 2 goals for a bet on Liverpool to be successful.
If you bet on Liverpool and they win by 2 goals or more, you win your bet. If Liverpool wins by only one goal, the match ends in a draw from a betting perspective, as the handicap would cancel out Fulham’s goal. If the match ends in a draw or if Fulham wins, your bet would lose.
Example 2: Manchester City vs. Crystal Palace
In this match, Manchester City is the overwhelming favorite, and the bookmakers have given them a -2 handicap. This means that they need to win by at least 3 goals for a bet on Manchester City to be successful.
If you bet on Manchester City and they win by 3 goals or more, you win your bet. If Manchester City wins by only 2 goals, the match ends in a draw from a betting perspective, as the handicap would cancel out Crystal Palace’s two goals. If the match ends in a draw or if Crystal Palace wins by any margin, your bet would lose.
2-way vs 3-way Sports: How European Handicap Betting Differs Between
This type of betting is used in both 2-way and 3-way sports, but there are some key differences to be aware of.
In 2-way sports such as tennis or basketball, European Handicap betting works by applying a handicap to one of the teams or players, effectively creating a two-way market. For example, in a tennis match, a handicap of -1.5 would mean that the player must win by at least two sets to cover the handicap. In basketball, a handicap of +5.5 would mean that the underdog team would need to lose by five points or less to cover the handicap.
In 3-way sports such as football, European Handicap betting works slightly differently. Instead of a two-way market, a handicap is applied to both teams, which creates a three-way market. For example, a handicap of -1.5 would mean that the favourite team would need to win by at least two goals to cover the handicap, while a handicap of +1.5 would mean that the underdog team would need to win, draw, or lose by one goal to cover the handicap.
The main difference between 2-way and 3-way European Handicap betting is the number of possible outcomes. In 2-way sports, there are only two possible outcomes, while in 3-way sports, there are three possible outcomes. This means that the odds for 3-way European Handicap betting are typically higher than those for 2-way betting.
Another difference is the way in which the handicap is applied. In 2-way sports, the handicap is applied to one team or player, while in 3-way sports, the handicap is applied to both teams. This means that the handicap line is often set higher in 3-way sports to create a more balanced market.
In European Handicap, stakes are not always returned. It depends on the bookmaker's rules and the specific bet that you place.
In some cases, if the match ends in a draw and your bet was for a team with a handicap, then your stake will be returned. For example, if you bet on Team A with a -1 handicap and the final score is 1-0 in favor of Team A, then your bet wins. However, if the final score is 1-0 in favor of Team A and you bet on Team A with a -1 handicap, then your bet is a push and your stake will be returned.
On the other hand, if you bet on a team to win with a handicap and the team loses or draws, then your bet will be lost and your stake will not be returned. It is important to carefully read the terms and conditions of the bookmaker you are using to understand their rules regarding stakes return.
The Ultimate European Handicap table
|Handicap (Your Bet)||Result: Team Wins by 3+||Result: Team Wins by 2||Result: Team Wins by 1||Result: Draw||Result: Team loses by 1||Result: Team loses by 2||Result: Team loses by 3+|
And here's the table for betting on a draw with handicap:
|Handicap (Your Bet)||Result: Team Wins by 3+||Result: Team Wins by 2||Result: Team Wins by 1||Result: Draw||Result: Team Loses by 1||Result: Team Loses by 2||Result: Team Loses by 3+|
|Tie Team 0||Lose||Lose||Win||Lose||Lose||Lose||Lose|
The Advantages of Using European Handicap for Live Betting
Here are some of the advantages of using European Handicap for live betting:
- Higher chances of winning: European Handicap provides a more level playing field for the teams involved, reducing the chances of a clear favourite. This makes it easier to predict the outcome of a game, increasing the chances of winning.
- Greater flexibility: With European Handicap, you can place bets on various outcomes of a game, including the number of goals scored, the winning margin, and the possibility of a draw. This flexibility enables you to place more bets on a single match and maximise your chances of winning.
- Better odds: Because European Handicap reduces the chances of a clear favourite, it often offers better odds compared to other betting markets. This means you can potentially win more money from the same bet.
- Live updates: European Handicap is ideal for live betting because it provides live updates on the scoreline and the possibility of different outcomes. This enables you to adjust your bets accordingly and take advantage of any changes in the game.
- Strategic betting: European Handicap requires a more strategic approach to betting, as you need to consider the possibility of different outcomes and adjust your bets accordingly. This can be more engaging and rewarding for experienced bettors who enjoy the challenge of strategic betting.
How to Combine Draw No Bet and European Handicap for Maximum Profit
Combining different types of bets can be a profitable strategy for bettors, and one such combination is Draw No Bet (DNB) and European Handicap (EH). DNB is a type of bet where the bettor chooses a team to win, and if the match ends in a draw, the stake is returned. EH, on the other hand, involves giving a team a handicap, which can level the playing field in terms of odds.
Combining these two types of bets can offer several advantages to bettors. Firstly, DNB can provide a level of security, as it reduces the risk of losing the entire stake. This is particularly useful when betting on matches where the teams are evenly matched, or where there is a high likelihood of a draw. However, the odds for DNB bets are typically lower than those for regular win bets.
By combining DNB with EH, bettors can increase their potential profits while still maintaining a level of security. EH allows the bettor to give a handicap to the underdog team, which can increase the odds for a bet on that team. For example, if a team is given a +1 EH, they would only need to lose by one goal for the bet to be a winner. This can provide a higher potential payout than a DNB bet on the same team, while still offering a level of security.
To use this combination effectively, bettors need to consider several factors. Firstly, they should research the teams and the match carefully to determine which team is more likely to win or draw. They should also consider the EH options available, and choose the one that provides the best odds while still offering a reasonable handicap. It's also important to manage the bankroll carefully, and avoid placing too much money on any single bet.
In conclusion, combining DNB and EH bets can offer a balance between security and potential profit for bettors. By carefully researching the teams and the match, and choosing the most advantageous EH option, bettors can increase their chances of making a profit while reducing their risk of losing the entire stake.
Expert Tips for Successful European Handicap Betting
Here are some expert tips for successful European Handicap betting:
- Understand the concept of European Handicap: European Handicap is a way to even out the playing field by giving a handicap to the underdog team. This means that the favorite team has to win by a certain margin for you to win your bet.
- Study team form and statistics: It’s important to research and analyze both teams' form and statistics before placing a European Handicap bet. Look at factors like recent results, team news, injuries, and head-to-head records.
- Bet on the right games: Not all football matches are suitable for European Handicap betting. Look for matches where there is a clear favorite and the underdog has a realistic chance of staying within the handicap.
- Don’t be too greedy: It can be tempting to go for a high handicap, but it’s important to be realistic. Look for handicaps that are achievable and offer value for money.
- Be patient: European Handicap betting requires patience and discipline. It’s important to have a long-term strategy and not get carried away by short-term losses or wins.
- Use multiple bookmakers: Compare the odds offered by different bookmakers and look for the best value. Using multiple bookmakers can also give you access to a wider range of handicaps and markets.
- Keep track of your bets: Keeping a record of your European Handicap bets can help you identify trends and improve your betting strategy. Track your wins, losses, and overall profit/loss.
The Most Common Mistakes to Avoid in European Handicap Betting
To ensure that you have the best chance of making a profit when betting with European Handicap, it is important to avoid the most common mistakes that bettors make. Here are some of the most common mistakes to avoid in European Handicap betting:
- Not understanding the concept of European Handicap
One of the most common mistakes that bettors make in European Handicap betting is not fully understanding the concept of European Handicap. European Handicap is a form of handicap betting that levels the playing field by giving a head start to the underdog and a handicap to the favourite. It is important to understand how the handicap works and how it affects the odds before placing a bet.
- Not doing research
Another common mistake is not doing enough research before placing a bet. In order to be successful in European Handicap betting, you need to have a good understanding of the teams or players involved in the match. This means studying past performances, looking at form, and keeping up to date with any news or injuries that may affect the outcome of the game.
- Focusing too much on the handicap
While the handicap is an important factor in European Handicap betting, it should not be the only factor you consider. Other factors such as form, injuries, and head-to-head records should also be taken into account.
- Betting on too many matches
Another common mistake that bettors make is betting on too many matches. It is important to be selective and only bet on matches that you have researched and feel confident about. Over-betting can lead to losses and can quickly drain your bankroll.
- Chasing losses
Chasing losses is a common mistake that many bettors make, not just in European Handicap betting, but in all forms of sports betting. If you have had a losing streak, it is important to take a step back, reassess your strategy, and avoid the temptation to chase your losses.
In conclusion, European Handicap betting can be a very effective way to increase your chances of winning bets, but it is important to avoid these common mistakes. By understanding the concept of European Handicap, doing research, not focusing too much on the handicap, being selective with your bets, and avoiding chasing losses, you can improve your chances of success in European Handicap betting.
Why European Handicap is a Must-Know Betting Strategy for Every Bettor
Here are some reasons why European Handicap is a must-know betting strategy for every bettor:
- Provides More Options: European Handicap offers more options to bettors. It allows you to bet on not just the outcome of a match but also on the margin of victory. This increases your chances of winning and offers you more flexibility in your betting strategy.
- Reduces Risk: European Handicap reduces the risk of losing your bet. With traditional betting methods, a draw can result in a loss of your stake. However, with European Handicap, a draw can result in a push, which means your stake is returned. This reduces the risk of losing your bet and helps you to manage your bankroll more effectively.
- Better Odds: European Handicap offers better odds than traditional betting methods. The handicap given to the underdog team can significantly increase their chances of winning, which means higher odds for you. This makes European Handicap a more attractive betting option for experienced bettors who are looking for better value.
- Provides Excitement: European Handicap adds excitement to your betting experience. It allows you to bet on the underdog team and increases your chances of winning, which can make the match more thrilling to watch. This makes European Handicap an excellent option for bettors who enjoy the excitement of sports betting.
- Widely Available: European Handicap is widely available at most bookmakers. This means that you can easily find matches to bet on and can use the strategy to diversify your betting portfolio.
In conclusion, European Handicap is a must-know betting strategy for every bettor. It offers more options, reduces risk, provides better odds, adds excitement, and is widely available at most bookmakers. By incorporating European Handicap into your betting strategy, you can increase your chances of winning and make the most of your sports betting experience.